(August 28, 2008) The Expert Panel on
Securities Regulation has appointed a legal advisory committee to back
up its goal of harmonizing Canada's fragmented regulatory framework.
"The six-person committee, which is
drawn from across the country and represents a number of areas of legal
expertise, has been created to provide legal advice in connection with
the preparation of a model common securities ac," said Tom Hockin, P.C.,
chair of the Expert Panel.
The legal committee consists of:
- Philip Anisman, Barrister and
- Richard J. Balfour, Partner, Torys
- Patrick Finnerty, Partner, Blakes
Cassels and Graydon LLP, Calgary
- Mitchell Gropper, Partner, Farris,
Vaughn, Wills and Murphy LLP, Vancouver
- Francis Legault, Partner, Ogilvy
Renault LLP, Montreal
- Glorianne Stromberg, securities
The Expert Panel is slated to provided
a final report to ministers responsible for securities regulation by the
end of 2008.